“Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!”
– Humbert Wolfe
It’s that time of year again. The air is getting crisp, the leaves are falling from the trees, and there is a pumpkin spice something-or-other everywhere you turn. It’s fall! And that means Halloween is right around the corner! We’ve been busy getting our costumes ready, making Halloween crafts and cookies, and of course…reading some delightfully fun Halloween stories!
We love celebrating different holidays through literature, and thus we are sharing our favorite Halloween reads for 2017. If you missed our list from last year, you can check it out here!
Our Favorite Halloween Books (2017)
**Note: The below list contains Amazon Affiliate links for convenience. See Disclosure Policy for more details.**
- Halloween Hats by Elizabeth Winthrop
- Follow this crazy group of kids in their Halloween best (complete with hats), as they trick-or-treat through the neighborhood, while on their way to the big Halloween bash – where they will get to switch hats and pretend to be someone new!
- The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll
- This cute tale follows two young mice who both (unbeknownst to the other) start caring for the same pumpkin. One mouse tends to the pumpkin during the day, while the other tends to the pumpkin during the night, and neither of them can figure out why their pumpkin is growing so large.
- Penguin and Pumpkin by Salina Yoon
- Penguin and his friends journey on an adventure to find out what fall looks like off of the ice, leaving his brother, Pumpkin, behind (because he’s too young for such an adventure). Penguin and his pals make sure to bring back plenty of pumpkins and beautiful fall leaves so that they can show Pumpkin exactly what fall looks like on the farm.
- Little Blue Truck’s Halloween by Alice Schertle
- Little Blue Truck, and his friend Toad, make their way to the barn for the Halloween party. On their way, they pickup all of the other farm animals, who are all dressed in costume for the occasion. This cute and colorful lift-the-flap book is delightfully engaging. My little nugget loves yelling “Boo!” at the end, right along with Little Blue Truck. 🙂
- Clifford’s First Halloween by Norman Bridwell
- Oh, you can never go wrong with Clifford! My little nugget is currently obsessed with the big red dog, so I knew that she would love this story. Emily Elizabeth struggles with finding a costume for Clifford on his first Halloween, because he is so tiny. Once the perfect costume has been selected, the dynamic duo trick-or-treat around their apartment building, before heading home to carve pumpkins and enjoy a Halloween party (complete with spooky stories).
I would love to hear about your little one’s favorite Halloween stories – you can never have too many good recommendations – so, feel free to share them in the comment section below.